Sunday, January 13, 2008

Only One...

I remember thinking at the time: we have a problem here. It's really not a huge 'thing', it's just that I have nowhere to store the rest of the veggies in the garden. I pulled up all the onions and garlic and put them in burlap sacks. They are now in the furnace room perfectly happy. The potatoes didn't fare so well. The furnace room is way too warm, and they all grew beautiful shoots. I pickled the beets along with some of the onions, but the carrots, leeks and the rest of the potatoes and beets had nowhere to go for the winter months. All too soon the garden was covered with 2 feet of snow and that was that, or so I thought. It'll all go back into the soil and turn into the most beautiful compost, or so I thought. This morning, we had a deer on our front lawn, and when Sadie and I went out for our walk we followed the tracks to the garden to find that she had found the leeks. The carrot tops, hidden for weeks under the blanket of snow, had this morning become the Sunday brunch of a lone deer. We have had a week or so of very warm weather, and I am so pleased that this past fall my garden was left unattended, so that this morning, one little deer found comfort and nourishment in my laziness!

No comments: