Friday, January 4, 2008

Feed The Birds, Tuppence A Bag...

Outside the window where we eat our meals is the spot where I feed the birds. It's a great set-up. I only have to open the window, to bring the feeders in during a storm, or to clean them and then re-fill them, and pop them back outside. I always call the chickadees, as if they aren't watching my every move and telling all their cousins what's happening over at the feeding station. It's very important to me that everyone get a fair shot at the feeders, so all are welcome. We have 4 extremely fat grey squirrels, and an unknown number of red squirrels minus one who sadly came to an unexpected end. I tried to revive her, but she had already died, so I ceremoniously wrapped her up in a pick-a-size Bounty towel and laid her gently to rest in the garbage bag, and then to the dumpster. (I couldn't bury her, it was -8 degrees F.) Our chief visitors are chickadees, ruby-breasted nuthatches, white-breasted nuthatches, goldfinches, and in the past couple of weeks, red-polls from the Arctic regions. We have hairy woodpeckers and downy woodpeckers, and even pileated woodpeckers who don't bother coming to the feeders, preferring instead the rotten pine trees still standing in the woods. We have blue jays and turtle doves and guncoes, and of course our little family of turkeys! Others come and go, but these are the regulars. Now! This 'tuppence a bag' lark is for the birds! I bought a 40# bag of sunflower hearts today for my little friends, and a large suet holder with a large suet pud to put in it and laid well over $60 on the counter of the Farm Store where I get my goodies! Wow, that's a far cry from 2d. a bag, isn't it!? But the Almighty has spoken, and He wants us to be good stewards of His creation, taking care of His little ones, all of them. So come on, squirrels, come and chow down, but don't be greedy. You must share!

1 comment:

Hanushka said...

Besides, it adds to the aesthetics of the dining table... It's like we're having meals out in the woods!