Monday, September 7, 2009

Upside down in the garden!

I love just messing about in the garden! I spent the best part of this morning upside down in the front rose bed, and as I weeded and trimmed, I remembered that Mum had given me my very own spot in the garden at Marston Magna. It was a corner wedge, right behind the brick wall that held the iron gate from the front to the back garden on the side of the house. My little bit of earth never felt the warmth of the sun, nor did anything grow in it, but an acacia tree, backed by the stone wall onto the lane. This wall seemed to wick any water from the soil, and try as I would, the acacia tree remained the sole live corner dweller. But it kept me out of mischief for hours on end...mostly I made fairy houses and fantastic worlds out of rocks and twigs and moss...always the moss!
This weekend we had a surprise visit
from Hannah, who spent her waking
hours upside down in the garden, thinning out the baby beets. She seemed so content to be just pottering, continuing the generational delight of pulling weeds and growing things. I took a photograph of her through this sunflower, because it had an enormous bumble bee on it...heaven only knows where it went to! She went home with a beautiful red cabbage, a few onions, and 3 jars of that scrumptious crabapple butter!

No comments: