Saturday, September 5, 2009

...and after!




Here is my very first batch of crabapple cider butter! I'm so pleased with the result: it's absolutely delicious. I could have possibly been a little more proud, however, had I not spilled 2 jars of this heavenly concoction onto the floor! The dogs weren't terribly enthusiastic about cleaning up the dreadful mess, but between us, we managed to do a good job while the first batch was having their boiling water bath to seal them. So, in my advancing years, I'm still learning lessons: it's never to late to learn; if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well; and always play it safe! For the first lesson, I found a wonderful Amish recipe, but as a matter of fact, it called for 18 gallons of crabapples! So I put my algebra to work, and figured out the formula!! The second lesson involved the idea of not trying to hurry things up; by taking my time, I would have been more successful, and the last two jars would have remained standing. The third lesson received quite a good grade until excited anticipation sent the last 2 jars toppling...I shall be much more careful next time.


The apples came from the crabapple tree outside the church on Crawford Farm Road. It has never failed to produce an abundance of apples, and is always a delight for sore eyes when it blossoms in early summer. We shall enjoy the apple butter in the ramekin for dinner tonight, as an accompaniment to the chicken we shall cook on the spit outside. Hannah's coming!!

No comments: