Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Passage of Time

I'm sure that last year, (can it only have been last year?) I planted the entire veggie patch in one day. I just decided that this was the day, and I did it.
This year, however, is slightly different. Although I planted the onion and leek seedlings earlier in the spring, yesterday the 7 young tomato plants were lovingly set to earth, firmly attached to their towers. Then I had to have a sit down with a chilled tonic water! Today was a new, warmer day, and I was thrilled and invigorated to know that at the end of this day, the rest of the garden would be in, following an unspoken tradition that dictates that your garden should be completely planted out on Memorial Day weekend. So I raked, cultivated, and generally prepared the row to receive Johnny's Provider beans. I set the seeds in a nice straight row, and having completed the task, realized that although I find it easy to bend down and remain in that position for a good hour or so, getting up again and staying in a nice upright position is another story altogether!! I'd had it. Completely side-swiped, I waddled over to the porch to rest my weary bones. It's all very sad and pathetic. But I'm not too worried: tomorrow is Memorial Day, and by the end of tomorrow...!

No comments: