Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My Children

During the past couple of weeks, all 3 of my children have come to our house to visit, and each of them brought a good dose of sunshine with them.

Penelope Ann: The youngest of the three, came bearing gifts galore from the Farmers' Market in Burlington. The purple sage, a Mothers Day gift, keeping to the tradition of replenishing my herb garden. She found the most beautiful rhubarb, which was translated into a scrumptious Soe Rhubarb Fool, the best I've ever had, spiked with lemon and tangerine zest. Her plan was to create a delicious Mothers Day Brunch, and she succeeded, gaining a high honours accolade in the process. She produced this amazing Springtime Quiche, which included asparagus, spring onions, mushrooms, garlic and lots of other delectables, and we decorated it with pastry cut-outs of mushrooms. It certainly was a chef-d'oeuvre! (See PenelopePost - there's a picture!) Thank-you, Soe, for your warm, giving heart. Thank you for that soft love, with which you embrace us. Thank you for your careful, adventurous spirit, daring, yet cautious! Thank you for daring to be you, careful in purpose and exuberant in joy! I love you!

Emma Hull: The middle child! Yet she has risen far above the tags that are so often associated with this dilemma. Emi came this past weekend, bringing Kevin, Cooper and Cabot with her. Kevin is her best friend, a friendship that we see growing and maturing every time we see them, becoming more at peace, more in harmony, more in depth. Emi thinks that she's training Kevin well, but don't be deceived! Kevin is a very clever chap, and knows exactly which voice to use, which face to pull, which demeanour would work best for any given situation. And still, Emi thinks she's training him well! Yet, we saw with our very own eyes the colour of the new collar and leash for Kevin's brand new CHOCOLATE LAB, Cabot: let's just call it NORTHEAST KINGDOM ORANGE! Thank you Emi, for teaching us the social graces that you have learned along your journey. Thank you for showing me how to be organised. Thank you for being such a great communicator, encouraging us to be the same, especially in family matters. Thank you for your terrific sense of humour, and for getting us all hooked on Fawlty Towers, or was that Farty Towels?! Thank you for achieving your goals without wavering. But most of all, thank you for your soft heart and deep love, the glue of this family. I love you!

Hannah Holden: Our first-born. Our angel. Our joy. Our Hannah! How could our hearts hold any more blessing and joy! Hannah took time out of her busy schedule to come and visit us this Sunday, filling the house with her sweet spirit and laughter. She has left her beloved Brian in California for a couple of weeks, to go and be with her grandmother, Mama Sonia, who is weakened with years and sickened lungs. To go back 30 and more years, Hannah and I took a trip to England. I was 5 months full of new baby, a baby that couldn't make it, a baby that needed to return to its heaven. On the plane I kept passing out, and Hannah sat on my tummy and stroked my face each time. This was later told to me by the crew members, who praised this little tiny person for her presence of spirit and gentle ways. Yesterday, she called us from Mama Sonia's apartment, and told us how she had massaged Mama Sonia's face with her lotion. Mama Sonia was absorbing far more than her precious lotion, but, too, the love of this grand-daughter who had come so far to give so much. Thank you, Hanushka, for that abundance of love. Thank you for putting up with this unstable mother during our rocky times. Thank you for being the strength I needed. Thank you for being such a good friend to your sisters, an enduring and growing friendship through the years. Thank you for who you are, and the sincerity of your heart. I love you!

My Three Darlings. My Three Joys.
May God Our Father
Bless You and Keep You
May He Make His Face To Shine On You
And Give You Peace
I Love You All
Mama

2 comments:

Hanushka said...

Mummy, you made me cry. To quote Mr. Blythe: "...the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it, Marilla?" Where the story is off, the words ring true. For each one of us is who we are because of you. Yes, we are each our own person. But a person showered with warmth and unwavering, unconditional love is given the rare oppurtunity to flourish. I attribute any redeeming qualities I posess to my mother. (and father, but that's a different entry...) xoxo Hannah

Kathleen said...

as some one who knows the three magical sisters, all in different ways, in fact I knew Emma for at least a year before I knew she was Hannah's sister...I knew Hannah for years before that, from Way out Wax days and especially when she was at Frog Hollow...I know her in the theater and have seen her many beautiful faces and creative emergences...but I have loved her most since watching her help my little friend Thomas when he was 18 months create his very own candle, how patient and how gentle and how careful she was of him, and how trusting he was with her...she has the ability to actually glow...she is crushingly beautiful,and best of all she is little like me, there was I time when we could wear each other clothes, and buy things for each other at thrift stores...now Emma, my beloved Emma...is, well her beauty is blinding, she is truly a goddess playing with streams of sunlight, and she is also Heidi playing in a meadow with her goats ...I have costumed her for years for Cabaret, she has such incredible patience and so giving and generous in her praise, she would stand still for hours, buy me cookies, bring me pins and thread...we would laugh and giggle, and look a fashion shows on tv...and she made sure I had what ever I might need..she is like a young girl running on the beach, yet with a PhD, a milk maid in 4 inch spikes, as elegant as the cover Vogue, and a vision total pure love playing with her beautiful puppies, and a sexy, leggy vixen, coy nymph with her handsome husband, and still remains the shy bride..and food, food, food, oh my she does understand food and the holiness and wholesomeness of of that ...and the joy of sharing...and then the exquisite Penelope...hard to describe, she smiles and you are filled with joy, seeing her with her sisters is almost overwhelming...she is haute mode, she is so beautiful it hurts, graceful, generous of heart, and spirit and wow, she is like a living painting...and the love these three share is tangible and so lovely...it is just an honor to be in the same room with them...they feed each others beauty when they are together, they are a form on exquisite synergy oh my !!! and Sally gotta' agree with Hannah...without a miracle of a Mother such as you, who allowed their beauty, individuality, their creativity to weave, and grow, and sparkle and spill and gather and select and experiment how could they have occurred in such perfection...so Ibless you so...with much love and awe
kathleen