Monday, December 1, 2008

Big Kevin's Tree


I've come a dozen times or more in the last few weeks, and each time I've discovered that inspiration's running awry! I really love to write, and find it strange that my heart and brain have cramped up to such a degree. And so, though I have no idea as to content, I have made a promise that today, when I log in, I shall not log out until I have put pen to paper, or rather, fingers to keys!


We have recently spent a couple of days with dear friends and family up at Sugarbush, in Vermont, to celebrate family and friends and Thanksgiving. Apart from companionable conversation, delicious food, detailing our thankfulness and blessings, and generally enjoying each others' company, Big Kevin jazzed up the whole event by performing his (now!) famous Annual Christmas Tree in the Woods Lighting Ceremony! Despite Kristin's whining about why couldn't she watch it from the living room, why did she have to come outside?, he was not to be discouraged! And, of course, partly because of Kristin's groans and moans, he had to do an emergency oh-my-word-I-hope-it-works sort of a test, so he quickly plugged it in and immediately out just to make sure. When we were all crammed onto the porch, dogs and all, did we do a count-down? I can't remember! But on went the lights, and my heart soared! I have a feeling that a few in the party were merely humouring the light lighter, but it was clear to see what great pleasure he derived from this simple act of giving! When we came home, one of the very first things I did was to go into the woods with the dogs to find the perfect little Christmas tree, I clothed her with the prettiest little fairy lights attached to a very long green landscaping extension cord and turned her on, not with the attending crowd, just me and the dogs. It was one of those moments: quiet, peaceful, magic. I thought of Kevin and Liz, and how much they mean to us, and wished that, if it could be, they could be a part of that moment...only to realize, on contemplation, that they had! I shall try very hard to take a picture of this magic tree and post it here. I'm not sure that I can remember how to do it, but will try.

No comments: