Sunday, September 7, 2008

Swallows and Amazons

I have always wanted to put my childhood memories, which are legion, into a book of memoires, but I think I don't have to anymore. It has already been done! Or rather, this is what seems to be.
I have recently started to read a series of 12 books written by Arthur Ransome, the first of which is 'Swallows and Amazons', first published in 1930. Perhaps you, like countless children since, have read this series, and your lives have been dramatically influenced by it. In the first book, we are introduced to the Walker children: John, Susan, Titty, Roger, Vicky and their Mother.
As children, my four siblings and I, deprived of television and video games, spent our days captivated in one adventure after another. As soon as one mystery was solved, off we'd go on another adventure, which often involved pirates and smugglers and kings and princes, (especially those imprisoned in towers!), murderers and body-snatchers (we lived right next door to the village graveyard)! Our imaginations ran wild, and nobody seemed to think this was detrimental to our growth, except, perhaps, with the exception of when we kidnapped John Innes, who was 4 at the time, tied him up and left him in my chapel to think about his dreadful crimes. It was hours later that his sister, Jessica, came looking for him, and we remembered with horror where we'd left him.
I'm sure that such naughtiness was never displayed in the Walker children, but this book, and in fact, the whole series comes highly recommended, especially if you missed it in your youth.
Beautifully written, this book would be a welcome change to any Book Discussion Club!
Well, I think I shall saunter down to the dock at Houseboat Bay, tackle up the able-bodied catboat Swallow, and tack on over to Wild Cat Island, where I'll no doubt encounter the two intrepid Amazons, Nancy and Peggy Blackett!

No comments: