Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Omnibus I

I have decided to go back to school! Not as a teacher, though, but as a student! Today was day one of my new course, Omnibus I, Biblical and Classical Civilizations. It should take me 6 years to complete Omnibus I - VI, so by the time that I turn 70, I should be fairly well-versed in the classics! Today we 'went' to the Sistine Chapel, and asked the question: "Who do you suppose that beautiful woman under God's left arm is?" Depending on your viewpoint, I suppose she could be Mary, who by the time Michelangelo painted his famous fresco had received the title of Mother of God back in the Middle Ages. Since Michelangelo didn't follow biblical descriptions of the cherubims, he probably didn't think too much about time-lines either, so this gorgeous female could then be Eve, even though she wasn't created until later. I, personally, think that this is the personification of Wisdom, who is portrayed in Proverbs as a woman. Entirely appropriate, for Wisdom to be included in this earth-shattering event! I suppose we'll never know this side of Heaven who she is, but rather fun to ponder such things! We looked at the whys and wherefores of Genesis, and now my homework is to read Toledoth 1 - 5, or the first 11+ chapters of Genesis. I'm going to enjoy being a student again! Soli Deo Gloria!

1 comment:

Jen said...

How I would love to be taking a course such as this! Good for you -keep posting and I will ponder through your ponderings.