Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Leave it to Moses!

Remember the grouse? I had wrapped him tenderly in a Russian muslin, to wait out the bitter winter on our side porch. The plan was to bury him as soon as the frost was gone in the spring, but unfortunately, for not only the poor grouse, but also for my need to do what was right (or ridiculous), something found it and took it away. I have to say that I felt a deep emotion of loss at this point. After all, it was my responsibility to have the funeral, along with full sporting regalia, to honour his noble life, and ponder on his abrupt demise. Sorrow was brief, although questions did arise as to the nocturnal thief's identity: our friendly(!) bear, raccoon or skunk, all of these having recently come out of their various hibernations. I thought it was the bear, because he had paid us a visit that day, sitting on our lawn licking his lips and swaying rhythmically from side to side.

That afternoon, the puppies and I were returning from our walkies, when suddenly Moses put his little 10-week old nose in the air and sniffed. He dashed under the side porch, and reappeared with the grouse in his mouth. This was a treasure indeed, and he held his little head up high as he ran for the front door! When we caught up with him we said 'Dead!' and he dropped it! I cut off its wings to attach to a tennis ball toy, and threw the rest unceremoniously into the bin along with my duty and loyalty! Moses later retrieved the Russian muslin, which joined the grouse in the bin.

No comments: