Monday, February 18, 2008

Night Visitor

He came this evening, while we were out. In my laziness, I had put the kitchen garbage bag, all tidily tied up, on the porch, onstead of popping it in the car and taking it up to the dumpster. You know, it doesn't pay to be lazy, that's a lesson instilled in us by our well-meaning parents since our earliest days. But it all depends on your perspective: not too long ago, a lone deer benefited greatly from my laziness in the vegetable patch last fall. I'm inclined to believe that this is another such occasion. We can't be sure exactly who came to dine at our front door: Foxy Fowler, Rocky Raccoon, Pepi the Piyoo, but whoever it was, I noticed how very tidily he tore a hole in just the right spot, and extracted the chicken carcass (from the chicken soup on Saturday.)He meticulously cleaned the bones and left a tidy pile for us. Nothing extra, just the bones. How very thoughtful!

No comments: